Miguel Angel Jimenez became the oldest European Tour winner on Sunday by shooting a 5-under 65 to capture his third Hong Kong Open title. At 48 years and 318 days, the Spaniard surpassed the previous record set by Ireland's Des Smyth, who was 48 years and 34 days when he won the 2001 Madeira Islands Open with his discount golf clubs . "Winning now, and becoming the oldest winner on the tour at 48, my goodness. Twenty-four years I've been on the tour, I've been around a long time," Jimenez said. "But I still love it and that is fantastic, to love what you're doing, and enjoy yourself, keep fit, keep working myself a little bit and stretching a lot. And that's the main thing to do to keep the body to compete with the new guns." Jimenez earned his 19th tour victory with his taylormade rocketballz irons by making four straight birdies from the seventh hole in his third straight bogey-free round to finish with a 15-under total of 265 on the suburban Fanling course. He was one shot ahead of Fredrik Andersson Hed of Sweden, who closed with a bogey-free 64. As always, the Malaga-based Jimenez celebrated his success with a glass of Rioja and a cigar - and credited those habits with helping his longevity. "There is maybe olive oil in my joints, and drinking the nice Rioja wine and those things keeps me fit and flexible," he said. "Well, the most important thing (is), I do what I like to do in my life, and golf has given me all of this pleasure." Jimenez earned $333,330 for the win with the fabulous rocketballz irons for sale , while Andersson Hed secured a place in next week's season-ending DP World Tour Championship with his second-place finish. Australia's Marcus Fraser also shot a 64 to finish third on 12 under for his sixth top-10 placing of the season. Italy's Matteo Manassero (68) shared fourth place with Ireland's Peter Lawrie (66) and Scotland's Stephen Gallacher (65).
Odpowiedz