MrDavis wrote the following in response to a magazine editor's question: Why did you eulogizeMalcolm X?] You are not the only person curious to know why I would eulogize a man like MalcolmXMany who know and respect me have written lettersOf these letters I air jordan 11 high heels am proudest of those from asixth-grade class of young white boys and girls who asked me to explainI appreciate your giving methis chance to do soYou may anticipate my defense somewhat by considering the following fact: no Negro has yet askedme that question(My pastor in Grace Baptist Church where I teach Sunday School preached a sermonabout Malcolm in which he called him a "giant in a sick world) Every one of the many letters I gotfrom my own people lauded Malcolm as a man, and commended me for having spoken at his funeralAt the same time-and this is important-most of them took special pains to disagree with much or all ofwhat Malcolm said and what he stood forThat is, with one singing exception, they all, every last,black, glory-hugging one of them, knew that Malcolm-whatever else he was or was not-Malcolm wasa manWhite folks do not need anybody to remind them that they are menWe doThis was his oneincontrovertible benefit to his peopleProtocol and common sense require that Negroes stand back and let the white man speak up for us,defend us, and lead us from behind the scene in our fightThis is the essence of Negro politicsButMalcolm said to hell with thatGet up off your knees and fight your own battlesThat's the way to winback your self-respectThat's the way to make the white man respect youAnd if he won't let you air jordan 1 high heels livelike a man, he certainly can't keep you from dying like oneMalcolm, as you can see, was refreshing excitement; he scared hell out of the rest of us, bred as we areto caution, to hypocrisy in the presence of white folks, to the smile that never fadesMalcolm knewthat every white man in America profits directly or indirectly from his position vis-a-vis Negroes,profits from racism even though he does not practice it or believe in itHe also knew that every Negro who did not challenge on the spot every instance of racism, overt orcovert, committed against him and his people, who chose instead to swallow his spit and go onsmiling, was an Uncle Tom and a traitor, without balls or guts, or any other commonly accepted aspects of manhoodNow, we knew all these things as well as Malcolm did, but we also knew what happened to peoplewho stick their necks out and say themAnd if all the lies we tell ourselves by way of extenuationwere put into print, it would constitute one of the great chapters in the history of man's justifiablecowardice in the face of other menBut Malcolm kept snatching our lies awayHe kept shouting the painful truth we whites and blacksdid not want to hear from all the housetopsAnd he wouldn't stop for love nor moneyYou can imagine what a howling, shocking nuisance this man was to both Negroes and whitesOnceMalcolm fastened on you, you could not escapeHe was one of the most fascinating and charmingmen I have ever met, and never hesitated to take his attractiveness and beat you to death with itYethis irritation, though painful to us, was most salutaryHe would make you angry as hell, but hewould also make you proudIt was impossible to remain defensive and apologetic about being aNegro in his presenceHe cheap nike heels uk wouldn't let youAnd you always left his presence with the sneakysuspicion that maybe, after all, you were a manBut in explaining Malcolm, let me take care not to explain him awayHe had been a criminal, anaddict, a pimp, and a prisoner; a racist, and a hater, he had really believed the white man was a devilBut all this had changedTwo days before his death, in commenting to Gordon Parks about his pastlife he saidThat was a mad sceneThe sickness and madness of those daysI'm glad to be free ofthemAnd Malcolm was freeNo one who knew him before and after his trip to Mecca could doubt that hehad completely abandoned racism, separatism, and hatredBut he had not abandoned his shock-effectstatements, his bristling agitation for immediate freedom in this country not only for blacks, but foreverybodyAnd most of all, in the area of race relations, he still delighted in twisting the white man'stail, and in making Uncle Toms, compromisers and accommodationists-I deliberately include myself-thoroughly ashamed of the urbane and smiling hypocrisy we practice merely to exist in a worldwhose values we both envy and despiseBut even had Malcolm not changed, he would still have been a relevant figure on the American scene,standing in relation as he does, to the "responsible" civil rights leaders, just about where John Brownstood in relation to the "responsible abolitionists in the fight against slaveryAlmost all disagreed withBrown's mad and fanatical tactics which led him foolishly to attack a Federal arsenal at Harpers Ferry,to lose two sons there, and later to be hanged for treasonYet today the world, and especially the Negro people, proclaim Brown not a traitor, but a hero and amartyr in a noble cause So in future, I will not be surprised if men come to see that Malcolm X was,within his own limitations, and in his own inimitable style, also a martyr in that causeBut there is much controversy still about this most controversial American, and I am content to wait for history to make the final decisionBut in personal judgment, there is no appeal from instinctI knew the man personally, and howevermuch I disagreed with him, I never doubted that Malcolm X, even when he was wrong, was alwaysthat rarest thing in the world among us Negroes: a true manAnd if to protect my relations with themany good white folk who make it possible for me to earn a fairly good living in the entertainmentindustry, I was too chicken, too cautious, to admit that fact when he was alive, I thought at least thatnow when all the white folks are safe from him at last, I could be honest with myself enough to lift myhat for one final salute to that brave, black, ironic gallantry, which was his style and hallmark, thatshocking zing of fire-and-be-damned-to-you, so absolutely absent in every other Negro man I know,which brought him, too soon, to his deathAlex Haley is the world-renowned author of Roots, which has sold six million hardcover copies andhas been translated into thirty languagesHe is the winner of the Pulitzer Prize and the National BookAwardAlex Haley died, at the age nike heels uk of seventy, in February Many friends have helped me in writing this book. Some are dead and so illustrious that I scarcely dare name them, yet no one can read or write without being perpetually in the debt of Defoe, Sir Thomas Browne, Sterne, Sir Walter Scott, Lord Macaulay, Emily Bronte, De Quincey, and Walter Pater,— to name the first that come to mind. Others are alive, and though perhaps as illustrious in their own way, are less formidable for that very reason. I am specially indebted to Mr C.P. Sanger, without whose knowledge of the law of real property this book could never have been written. Mr Sydney-Turner’s wide and peculiar erudition has saved me, I hope, some lamentable blunders. I have had the advantage — how great I alone can estimate — of Mr Arthur Waley’s knowledge of Chinese. Madame Lopokova (Mrs J.M. Keynes) has been at hand to correct my Russian. To the unrivalled sympathy and imagination of Mr Roger Fry I owe whatever understanding of the art of painting I may possess. I have, I hope, profited in another department by the singularly penetrating, if severe, criticism of my nephew Mr Julian Bell. Miss M.K. Snowdon’s indefatigable researches in the archives of Harrogate and Cheltenham were none the less arduous for being vain. Other friends have helped me in ways too various to specify. I must content myself with naming Mr Angus Davidson; Mrs Cartwright; Miss Janet Case; Lord Berners (whose knowledge of Elizabethan music has proved invaluable); Mr Francis Birrell; my brother, Dr Adrian Stephen; Mr F.L. Lucas; Mr and Mrs Desmond Maccarthy; that most inspiriting of critics, my brother-in-law, Mr Clive Bell; Mr G.H. Rylands; Lady Colefax; Miss Nellie Boxall; Mr J.M. Keynes; Mr Hugh Walpole; Miss Violet Dickinson; the Hon. Edward Sackville West; Mr and Mrs St. John Hutchinson; Mr Duncan Grant; Mr and Mrs Stephen Tomlin; Mr and Lady Ottoline Morrell; my mother-in-law, Mrs Sydney Woolf; Mr Osbert Sitwell; Madame Jacques Raverat; Colonel Cory Bell; Miss Valerie Taylor; Mr J.T. Sheppard; Mr and Mrs T.S. Eliot; Miss Ethel Sands; Miss Nan Hudson; my nephew Mr Quentin Bell (an old and valued collaborator in fiction); Mr Raymond Mortimer; Lady Gerald Wellesley; Mr Lytton Strachey; the Viscountess Cecil; Miss Hope Mirrlees; Mr E.M. Forster; the Hon. Harold Nicolson; and my sister, Vanessa Bell — but the list threatens to grow too long and is already far too distinguished. For while it rouses in me memories of the pleasantest kind it  
Zaloguj się, aby oddać głos