The Lord Paramount was able to give exactly fifty-three minutes of thought altogether to the threatened Canadian defection before he made a decision. There was one sustained stretch of rather under thirty minutes, before he got up on the morning after he had learnt of this breach on the imperial jordans 9 front; the other twenty-three-odd minutes were in scraps, two or three at a time. There were also some minutes of overlap with the kindred questions of Australia and South Africa. His decision was to take a spirited line both with Canada and the United States.It was remarkable that during the whole interview, each had endeavoured to catch stolen glances of the others face, and had never looked full at it. They interchanged one brief and hasty glance as Hugh went out, averted their eyes directly, and so separated. Hugh closed the double doors behind him, carefully and without noise; and Mr Chester remained in his easy-chair, with his gaze intently fixed upon the fireWell! he said, after meditating for a long time and said with a deep sigh and an uneasy shifting of his attitude, as though he dismissed some other subject from his thoughts, and returned to that which had held possession of them all the day the plot thickens; I have thrown the shell; it will explode, I think, in eight-and-forty hours, and should scatter these good folks amazingly. We shall see! He went to bed and fell asleep, but had not slept long when he started up and thought that Hugh was at the outer door, calling in a strange voice, very different from his own, to be admitted. The delusion was so strong upon him, and was so full of that vague terror of the night in which such visions have their being, that he rose, and taking his sheathed sword in his hand, opened the door, and looked out upon the staircase, and towards the spot where Hugh had jordan shoes 2 lain asleep; and even spoke to him by name. But all was dark and quiet, and creeping back to bed again, he fell, after an hours uneasy watching, into a second sleep, and woke no more till morningMy patron the Knight of Avenel used to compel the youth educated in his household to learn the use of axe and hammer, and working in wood and iron he used to speakof old northern champions, who forged their own weapons, and of the Highland Captain, Donald nan Ord, or Donald of the Hammer, whom he himself knew, and who used to work at the anvil with a sledge-hammer in each hand. Some said he praised this art, because he was himself of churl’s blood. However, I gained some practice in it, as the Lady Catherine Seyton partly knows; for since we were here, I wrought her a silver broochAy, replied Catharinebut you should tell her Grace that your workmanship was so indifferent that it broke to pieces next day, and I flung it awayBelieve her not, Roland, said the Queenshe wept when it was broken, and put the fragments into her bosom. But for your scheme could your skill avail to forge a second set of keysNo, madam, because I know not the wards. But I am convinced I could make a set so like that hateful bunch which the Lady bore off even now, that could they be exchanged against them by any means, she would never dream she was possessed of the wrongAnd the good dame, thank Heaven, is somewhat blind, said the Queenbut then for a forge, my boy, and the means of labouring unobservedThe armourer’s forge, at which I used sometimes to work with him, is the round vault at the bottom of the turret he was dismissed with the warder for being supposed too much attached to George Douglas. The people are accustomed to see me work there, and I warrant I shall find some excuse that will pass current with them for putting bellows and anvil to workThe scheme has a promising face, said the Queenabout it, my lad, with all speed, and beware the nature of your work is not discoveredNay, I will take the liberty to draw the bolt against chance visitors, so that I will have time to put away what I am working upon, before I undo the doorWill not that of itself attract suspicion, in a place where it is so current already? said CatherinNot a whit, replied RolandGregory the armourer, and every good hammerman, locks himself in when he is about some master piece of craft. Besides, something must be riskedPart we then to-night, said the Queenand God bless you my children!If Mary’s head ever rises above water, you shall all rise along with her. The enterprise of Roland Graeme appeared to prosper.jordan shoes uk A trinket or two, of which the work did not surpass the substance, (for the materials were silver, supplied by the Queen,) were judiciously presented to those most likely to be inquisitive into the labours of the forge and anvil, which they thus were induced to reckon profitable to others and harmless in itself. Openly, the page was seen working about such trifles. In private, he forged a number of keys resembling so nearly in weight and in form those which were presented every evening to the Lady Lochleven, that, on a slight inspection, it would have been difficult to perceive the difference. He brought them to the dark rusty colour by the use of salt and water; and, in the triumph of his art, presented them at length to Queen Mary in her presence-chamber, about an hour before the tolling of the curfew. She looked at them with pleasure, but at the same time with doubtI allow, she saidthat the Lady Lochleven’s eyes, which are not of the clearest, may be well deceived, could we pass those keys on her in place of the real implements of her tyranny. But how is this to be done, and which of my little court dare attempt this tour de jongleur with any chance of success? Could we but engage her in some earnest matter of argument but those which I hold with her, always have been of a kind which make her grasp her keys the faster, as if she said to herself Here I hold what sets me above your taunts and reproaches And even for her liberty, Mary Stuart could not stoop to speak the proud heretic fair.What shall we do? Shall Lady Fleming try her eloquence in describing the last new head-tire from Paris?alas! the good dame has not changed the fashion of her head-gear since Pinkie-field for aught that I know. Shall my mignóne Catherine sing to her one of those touching airs, which draw the very souls out of me and Roland Graeme?Alas! Dame Margaret Douglas would rather hear a Huguenot psalm of Clement Marrot, sung to the tune of Reveillez vous, belle endormie. Cousins and liege counsellors, what is to be done, for our wits are really astray in this matter?Must our man-at-arms and the champion of our body, Roland Graeme, manfully assault the old lady, and take the keys from her par voie du faitNay! with your Grace’s permission. said RolandI do not doubt being able to manage the matter with more discretion; for though, in your Grace’s service, I do not fearA host of old women, interrupted Catherineeach armed with rock and spindle, yet he has no fancy for pikes and partisans, which might rise at the cry of Help! a Douglas, a DouglasThey that do not fear fair ladies’ tongues, continued the pageneed dread nothing else.But, gracious Liege, I am well-nigh satisfied that I could pass the exchange of these keys on the Lady Lochleven; but I dread the sentinel who is now planted nightly in the garden, which, by necessity, we must traverseOur last advices from our friends on the shore have promised us assistance in that matter, replied the QueenAnd is your Grace well assured of the fidelity and watchfulness of those withoutFor their fidelity, I will answer with my life, cheap jordans uk and for their vigilance, I will answer with my life I will give thee instant proof, my faithful Roland, that they are ingenuous and trusty as thyself. Come hither Nay, Catherine, attend us; we carry not so deft a page into our private chamber alone. Make fast the door of the parlour, Fleming, and warn us if you hear the least step or stay, go thou to the door, Catherine, (in a whisperthy ears and thy wits are both sharper.)Good Fleming, attend us thyself Thus speaking, they were lighted by the Lady Fleming into the Queen’s bedroom, a small apartment enlightened by a projecting windowLook from that window, Roland, she saidsee you amongst the several lights which begin to kindle, and to glimmer palely through the gray of the evening from the village of Kinross-seest thou, I say, one solitary spark apart from the others, and nearer it seems to the verge of the water?It is no brighter at this distance than the torch of the poor glowworm, and yet, my good youth, that light is more dear to Mary Stuart, than every star that twinkles in the blue vault of heaven. By that signal, I know that more than one true heart is plotting my deliverance; and without that consciousness, and the hope of freedom it gives me, I had long since stooped to my fate, and died of a broken heart. Plan after plan has been formed and abandoned, but still the light glimmers; and while it glimmers, my hope lives.Oh! how many evenings  
Zaloguj się, aby oddać głos