The truth is, that when this cartoon was printed the North had five hundred thousand men in the field, and, before the War closed, tiffany outlet had provided fully two million and tiffany cufflinks a half troops. The report tiffany and co outlet of the Secretary of the Treasury which showed the financial affairs and situation of the United States up to July, 1862. The receipts of the National Government for the year ending June 30th, 1862, were $10,000,000 in michael kors handbags outlet excess of the expenditures, although the War was costing the country $2,000,000 per day; the credit of the tiffany bracelets United States was good, and cheap michael kors Bags store outlet business matters were in a satisfactory state.  The Navy, by August 23rd, 1862, had tiffany pendants received eighteen thousand additional men, and was tiffany sets in fine shape; the people of the North stood ready to supply anything the Government needed, so that, tiffany necklaces all things taken together, the "Punch" cartoon was not exactly true, tiffany & co outlet as the facts and figures abundantly proved. WHITE ELEPHANT ON HIS HANDS. An old and intimate friend from Springfield called on President Lincoln and found him much depressed. The tiffany jewelry outlet President was reclining on a sofa, tiffany rings but rising suddenly he said to his friend: "You know better than any man living that from my boyhood up my ambition was to be President. I am President of one part of this divided country at least; but look at me! Oh, I wish I tiffany charms had never been born! "michael kors outlet stores  I've a white elephant on my hands--one tiffany earrings hard to manage. With a fire in my front and rear to contend with, the jealousies of the military commanders, and not receiving that cordial co-operative support from Congress that could reasonably be expected with an active and formidable enemy in the field threatening the very life-blood of michael kors outlet online the Government, my position is anything but a bed of roses. " tiffany engagement rings WHEN LINCOLN AND GRANT CLASHED. Ward Lamon, one of President Lincoln's law cheap mk purses outlet partners, and his most intimate friend in Washington, has this to relate: "I am not tiffany keyrings aware that there was ever a serious discord or misunderstanding between Mr. Lincoln and General Grant, except on a single occasion. From the commencement of the struggle, Lincoln's policy was to break the backbone of the Confederacy by depriving it of its principal means of subsistence.  "Cotton was its vital aliment; deprive it of this, and the rebellion must necessarily collapse. The Hon. cheap mk bags outlet Elihu tiffany & outlet B. Washburne from the outset was tiffany co outlet opposed to any contraband traffic with the Confederates. "Lincoln had given permits and passes through the lines to two persons--Mr. Joseph Mattox of Maryland and General Singleton of Illinois--to enable them to bring cotton and other Southern products from Virginia. Washburne Michael kors outlet heard of it, called immediately on Mr. Lincoln, and, after remonstrating with him on the impropriety of such a demarche, threatened to have General Grant countermand the permits if they were cheap michael kors 2013 outlet not revoked. "Naturally, both became excited. Lincoln michael kors store online declared that he did not believe General Grant would take upon himself the responsibility of such an act. 'I will show you, sir; I will show you whether Grant will do it or not,' responded Mr. michael kors purses outlet Washburne, as he abruptly withdrew. "By the next boat, subsequent to this interview, the Congressman left Washington for the headquarters of General Grant. He returned shortly afterward to the city, and so likewise did Mattox and Singleton.    
Odpowiedz